Sunday, July 04, 2010

Chia and the Achilles

I read Born To Run recently, and was profoundly affected by it. I immediately bought my bag of chia seeds with the conviction that I would add it to everything...which rapidly deteriorated to relegating it to the shelf. Nonetheless, I believe this may be super food, so I added it to a bottle of gatorade and tested it on a recent ride and found it profoundly palatable. I'm quite excited by the possibility that this will be the fuel for my future races.

I've more or less committed to doing a half iron distance triathlon in Enumclaw on September 24. We've already reserved the Yurt. More on this later.

I thought I had a MRSA relapse on my Achilles tendon, saw the usual doctors, got the ultrasound, braced the healthcare industry with my money and learned it was not a MRSA relapse, but simple tendinitis, which sounds sinister since arthritis is a permanent and chronic condition, whereas tendinitis is just the equivalent of a pulled muscle-except it's a pulled tendon, which is what it should be called. Anyway, these things take forever to heal, but with the wisdom of past injuries, 4-5 weeks is a not unreasonable amount of time to be kind to my heel tendon, and I've been doing so, following what has become a solid tenet in my training life: No pain, no pain and if it hurts when you do that, don't do that.

No comments: