Sunday, August 15, 2010

More Rules, Pictures and Miscellaney

The view from Crown Point remains unchanged from last year and also remains a very vigorous training ride that I embarked on three weekends in a row. Each time was a little easier-but only a little. I was surprised to discover elevation gain is only 773 feet, but maybe "only" is a misnomer. The ride is 32 miles round trip from my house.

I'll take this weekend off and then next weekend ride to Multnomah Falls for the first time of the season. It is almost exactly 50 miles round trip, which is a perfect training ride. And that will be an elevation gain of 1546 since I'll be starting from the riverbed twice. Now that's some elevation gain! I still plan on doing the half at Enumclaw, which consists of rolling hills, so a few tough rides to Multnomah Falls and it should be pretty easy to hammer it in Enumclaw.
This is a view Dog Mountain and this is an elevation gain of 4000 feet. We did this about a month ago this is the second time the Wife and I tackled this one and it went quite a bit better this time. I was still surprised at how taxed I was after this hike. During the hike I was feeling very strong, but going straight up and then straight down will take its toll.
This is a random photo at Smith Rock, Oregon, where the Wife and I did the 10k (her first!). Really beautiful spot and we had an enjoyable stay in good old Bend, Oregon.

MORE RULES

Rule #6-Be flexible in your training plan and your training day. If you feel great, train a little harder on any given day. If you feel not so great, pull back or scratch. Trust the wisdom of your own body.

Rule #7-Rest. Bike workout, Run Workout, Swim workout, Rest workout. After a long/hard workout day, I almost always take a rest day. If you rest as hard as you train, you will be doing this sport for the rest of your life.

This triathlon leapt across my radar today, so I may be doing this:

http://www.racecenter.com/scogginsvalley/

And while I don't have a link to the side, this is the one I will be doing September 24:

http://www.racecenter.com/blackdiamond/

Live long and triathlon.

1 comment:

Alisa said...

I've always wanted to ride out to crown point =).

You should totally do Scoggins Valley---it's out at Hagg Lake, it'll be tough with rolling hills but good training for your HalfIron.

I really like Hagg Lake...since it's loops you know what to expect and I feel like I ride stronger every loop.