Thursday, June 23, 2011

Triperventilating and Other Preparatory Symptoms

I had my first serious bout of triperventilating of the season today as I got out the old race result spreadsheet, compared it to the old workout spreadsheet, which I compared to my workout iPhone app to estimate my finish time at the Desert Tri (I’m looking at a possible course PR, folks). Triperventilating, for those who don’t know because I just made it up, is when you do the above process and then begin breathing like you’re actually about to race, a super-adrenalin charge which, at its worst is severely nauseating and at its best is exhilarating. It’s also very difficult to stay focused on work because of course I want to crunch the numbers further to see if I can squeeze a minute here or a minute there. It’s ultimately futile because my time predictions are usually so accurate that it’s almost pointless to even bother registering and participating in the race. And when I am surprised by a performance, it’s seldom in the right direction. Alright, cut the negative talk. I'm going to WIN!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you predict your finish time for us?

Backpacker said...

I generally don't discuss specific times because it's not really relevant. I'm not a professional, so the fact that I'm in the race and anticipate finishing before the cutoff is the most important thing. Put another way, on my next race, I expect to be at the top of the bottom quarter, instead of at the bottom of the bottom quarter-you can do the math from there.