Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tator Tot Solution

At long last I’ve solved my fueling dilemma-Tator Tots! Naturally, I will first try and fail to formulate them myself using coconut oil instead of partially hydrogenated poison (and then fall back on store bought). They may get soggy and gross, so I will need to test this hypothesis for the perfect endurance fuel, not endorsed by the following book, which I’m currently reading:



http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nutrition-Endurance-Athletes-Monique/dp/1931382964



Sports Nutrition for Endurance that talks about different kinds of carbs and protein and blahblahblah.



The point is, tater tots may be the perfect on-the-go complex carbohydrate, because I’ve been led to believe that a combination of simple and complex carbohydrates during long races is the way to go. In my last major race, I ate Pringles (fail), chicken noodle Soup (success) and some powder nutrition crap I mixed myself, which was shite. I also used GU, but I can only really stand raspberry, and I made the mistake of counting on the race to provide me with my GU-and being a backpacker, naturally all the big kids got the pick of the schwag and I was left with Cream of Turd flavor. This time I’m byog all the way.



So fueling plan is as follows:


Gatorade: 100 calories per hour


GU-200 calories odd hours


1 can Chicken Noodle Soup-even hours


Tator Tots-as needed


Ensure (walgreen’s brand)-Throw three or four of these down throughout the race, probably one off the swim, one during the bike, one off the bike, one transitioning to the run (maybe not that much for the half, but probably that much for the full).



I’m not to the part in the book that tells me how many calories per hour I can metabolize, but I’m pretty sure it’s in the 300-500 calories per hour range, so I’m figuring choking down a minimum of 1500 calories during the half ironman race and double that for my iron distance race back up in good old Grand Coulee (assuming my half isn’t a complete disaster).

No comments: